Thursday, August 23, 2012

Supercrooks 4: Not with a Bang

Supercrooks #4
"The Big Finale"
Writer: Mark Millar
Artist: Leinil Yu
ICON
Aug 22, 2012

Did you know that Supercrooks was only a 4-issue mini? I guess I should have checked Marvel's solicitations for August more carefully, because I had no idea this miniseries was ending so soon. Well, it's here, it's 42-pages, and it costs 4.99 (yikes!).

I might have been caught off guard by this book's sudden finish, but I wasn't really all that surprised by what I found inside. Millar has been building up this Ocean's Eleven-with-supervillains premise since the first issue, and finally we get to set how it all plays out. And surprisingly, there were very few shocks or surprises to be had.

I don't want to suggest that Millar has gone soft, but despite a twist near the end of the issue where "everything you thought you knew was (sort-of) wrong," this was a very straightforward story.

Super Crooks just doesn't pack the same punch as other recent minis by Millar like Superior or Nemesis, and it's a far cry from Wanted. It's not a bad story, but it just wasn't all that memorable either. After the wait  between issues, the only characters I could still name were Jonny Bolt and The Bastard. I even forgot why the super cons were trying to rip off The Bastard in the first place.

Leinil Yu is becoming one of those "love him or hate him" artists, which I don't really get, because I think he is perfectly adequate. That makes him a perfect fit for this book, because it's not bad, but it's not really good either, it's just okay.

I like Mark Millar's comics, and agree with Courtney that (when it comes out) Hit-Girl is one of the best comics on the stands. Oversized or not, this isn't worth your 4.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment